Chinese treatments for sleep problems, Geelong
Sleep problems and Chinese medicine
What are the symptoms?
The following symptoms can be a sign you do not sleep well or are suffering from a lack of sleep:
- difficulty falling asleep
- frequently waking at night
- lots of dreams. The dreams can be trivial or nightmares
- waking up in the morning feeling unrefreshed
- feeling sleepy during the day.
Sleep is closely related to main parts of our lives. In the long-term, sleep deprivation can have a serious impact on mental acuity and physical health. Poor sleep is linked with many health problems, including diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease risk, weight gain and generally weakened immunity.
If you have experienced any of the above symptoms, consult Geelong Chinese Medicine Clinic about different natural approaches to improve sleeping and to discuss our range of preventative Chinese medicine for Geelong and district patients.
Causes of sleep problems
In Chinese medicine, sleep is a representation of balanced yin and yang, and a calm mind. One can only fall asleep at night if they are generally calm in their mind during the day and prior to sleep.
More than 50 percent of patients we see at the Geelong Chinese Medicine Clinic experience some sleeping problems, but only 20 percent come specifically to have treatment for sleep.
There are multiple causes responsible for sleep problems, including:
- unresolved frustrations of life, work or relationships
- hormonal imbalances
- digestive problems
- poor lifestyle, such as drinking too much coffee, or tea, or going to bed too late. This is closely related to sleep hygiene. Please see the below section for more information about sleep hygiene.
- temporarily interrupted sleep due to travel or other issues, resulting in a changed sleep pattern
- some major diseases.
Chinese medicine treatment approaches
- We use acupuncture at our Geelong clinic to calm the mind
- We use herbs to address other identifiable imbalances, such as hormonal or digestive problems
- We will also give you lifestyle advice, sleep hygiene advice and teach you how to do self-acupressure to facilitate the treatment for long-term gain
- We will work with other health professionals who also help you, such as psychologists, psychiatrists or your GP
- We would also like you to do Qi Gong or dynamic meditation to maintain a calmed mind.
Sleep hygiene is a must for a good sleep. To learn about sleep hygiene, please check this site from the Victorian Government.
Contact our clinic to discuss a range of traditional Chinese medicines and treatments including needle-free acupuncture, Qi Gong, help with women’s health and fertility problems, help with stress and emotional issues and our Chinese herbal medicines in Geelong.